Tiny House – Cabinets and Doors

Saturday. 7am. Prime working hours, especially when the forecast is up near 100 degrees.

Per my electrician, I needed to get a cabinet built around all the solar equipment ASAP. For a few months now I’ve had the inverter, batteries, and switch things all sitting on a platform and covered with a tarp. It’s waterproof and out of direct sunlight so it’s not high on the priority list.

But it’s been long enough. Time to put the sides on…

 

img_2743

Thankfully, I had quite a bit of left over plywood so I cut up scraps to make the walls.

img_2744

Then finished with leftover siding…the roof isn’t totally done yet, but it’s vented (important when you have batteries involved) and sturdy! AND this only took me 1.5 hours. I think because it’s so small, but I’ll take it 🙂

img_2749

The solar panels were next. They’ve been hiding in a shed for a while…

img_2745

I designed the frame to tilt up and allow for the panels to be bolted to it. Unfortunately my pre-drilled holes didn’t really match up, so I had to re-drill them. Also, spiders love to hide in the pre-drilled holes and it’s gross when they squish.

img_2747

Eventually, I’ll have supports that bolt to the frame as opposed to an extra piece of trim I had laying around…

img_2748

Then the barn door. Because I decided to bolt a pipe ladder to it, I thought maybe I needed more than one-board thickness. So I attached another layer of boards to the back of what you see. The result is this thing is stinking heavy. The track took a little finagling to get it level and then it was a workout getting the thing bolted in all the way. BUT IT’S LEVEL!

img_2754

And it opens! Although the planks are a tad off-square so I’m still deciding if it bugs me enough to take it down and fix it.

img_2755

Oh yeah, and the front door hardware is finished. AND it closes. At first it didn’t and I had to chisel the opening for the dead bolt and the latch.

IMG_2560

Then it was on to finishing out the bathroom vanity. So far the day had gone great so I had no reason to believe this would be any different. I put the sides in. I even trimmed it out. It looked pretty neat if I do say so myself.

But.

When I went to put in the drawer (that took me almost an hour to make), the opening was 1/4″ too small.

At this point I’d worked for 9 hours, it was 99 degrees, and I was over it.

img_2750

The next day I came back to try to fix the 1/4″ nonsense. When I moved the boards, this happened…

img_2757

If you ever think that painting wood with drywall primer will give you a super smooth finish once you paint over the top with latex, tell yourself to go get a snack and rethink your life.

It doesn’t. The result will be a flaking, dented mess that you will have to touch up before your project is even done.

Once the opening was the right size (super helpful), I had to install the drawer slides.

img_2756

I don’t know a fancy way of doing this…I just measured up from the bottom of the vanity to the height where I wanted the runner to be. And I’m happy to report, it worked!

img_2758

Both drawers open nicely and are level!

img_2760img_2761

Now I just need to attach the front panels, the pulls, the top, and the sink 🙂

img_2762

And I’m not convinced on the purple, so that might change too…

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s